Buildings in the Village
We are greatly
indebted to Vicky Airey who has provided most of the information for this
page. Vicky hopes to publish a more complete history of the village at
Much of the older
part of the village is protected from undesirable development because
it is designated as a Conservation Area.
There are a number
of listed buildings in the village including the parish church of St Giles,
Yew Tree Farm, Abbey's Farm etc.....
Click here to see some archive pictures of Bubbenhall
and Agricultural Development
The map of Bubbenhall before the new housing estates began to be built
in the 1970s, shows the medieval pattern of a row of cottages and farmhouses,
each with a croft or close, extending from opposite the Spring ("the
Spout") down to the bottom of the village. Above the Spring was the
Green, which was enclosed and ploughed up during the Second World War.
Among the main early village farms were Cross House (now known as the
Manor House) in the middle of the village (opposite a small green, taken
away about 1930), Yew Tree Farm, the Home Farm (probably previously The
Moat), Old House Farm, and Church House Farm (probably the prebendal grange).
Parliamentary enclosure of the old open fields - Grove Field and the Harps
to the SE, Ludgate Field to the NE, and Cloud Field to the W took place
in 1726 (which was the second earliest in Warwickshire). The land was
divided among the different manorial tenants and two major new farms were
built with surrounding blocks of land belonging to them. These were Wood
Farm, built some time before 1809, and Waverley Wood Farm, probably in
embryonic form in 1809. Otherwise the old centrally situated farm buildings
were still in operation, but had rationally organised blocks of land belonging
to them; eg. Yew Tree Farm, belonging to William Paget, had land in Paget's
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries several sales by auction took
place, and farms and land changed hands. This was an opportunity for tenant
farmers to become owners of land and farmhouses. With the breaking up
of the Baginton Estate in 1918 people were able to buy these houses and
cottages for the first time. At the same time the stability of leaseholds
which often passed from generation to generation in the old village families
The Manor House was stripped down to its original timber framework in
the autumn of 1966 by its new owner; the previous owner - Mr. Cowley -
having died in Feb 1966. The whole framework was then blown down in a
severe storm. It was rebuilt in its current form.
In 1629 there was both a fulling mill and a water mill for corn at Bubbenhall
and by 1698 there were two rye mills and a wheat mill.
The mill belonged to the Lord of the Manor, the Bromley family of Baginton,
from the early 18th century until the manorial estate was broken up and
sold in 1918.
The mill house was an old half-timbered building with extensive outbuildings,
mill dam and sluice, which lay on the other side of the field beyond the
churchyard. It burnt down in the winter of 1965-6, after which, in 1966-67,
a Coventry builder used the site to build a new house for himself.
The site is now occupied by the development known as "Riverside", comprising eleven flats.
Bubbenhall Mill during the time of the last miller, George Moore.
The Three Horseshoes - Among 18th century leases of the
Pisford's Charity cottages were a cooper and a "victualler"
(i.e. one who supplies food). In 1823 2 cottages were leased to Thomas
Walton, yeoman, in 1845 and were described as of "Horseshoes",
brewer. This is now the Three Horseshoes.
The Malt Shovel - In 1801 the Malt Shovel is described
as the "newly erected malthouse", and incorporates an earlier
half timbered building.
The Shunt - The house that was situated on the Watery Lane side of Weston
crossroads (demolished in 2009) was also, long ago, a pub.
The Old School
In the 18th century charity schools were established at Stoneleigh and
Cubbington, with some places for Bubbenhall children. In the early 19th
century the school which was established at Baginton also took Bubbenhall
children. However, less than half of the 70 to 80 school age children
of Bubbenhall were able to go to school in the 1860s. In 1864 the Rector
managed to establish a village school in Bubbenhall, which continued until
it was closed down in 1999.
This building was erected c.1876 next to the Parish Pound (which was for
impounding stray animals).
It started as a private house, but in
1882 was established as the Reading Room with money from a bazaar, public
subscription, and a cheque from the former rector, the Rev. Edward H. Harrison
(1878-84). Thereafter it was used for many purposes, including as a library,
a meeting place for the Women's Institute, a doctor's surgery, and a place
to hold jumble sales.
to Information about the Church